I am a Full Professor at the Computer Science Faculty of the University of the Basque Country UPV/EHU. I am the director of the recently created HiTZ Centre on Language Technology, where I am part of the Ixa Research Group. I am Fellow of the ACL, a selective worldwide group of 74 research leaders, and awardee of the National Research Prize on Informatics (video and speech). One of my students won the EurAI Artificial Intelligence PhD Dissertation Award.
My schedule in case you need an appointment.
Recent talks, projects, courses
- Keynote talks on “Few-shot Information Extraction is Here: Pre-train, Prompt and Entail” at several venues in 2022:
- Deep Learning for Natural Language Processing course at DeepLearn April 2022
- Deep Learning for Natural Language Processing course (twice a year, Winter and Summer)
- Co-organizer of Deep Learning Inside Out (DeeLIO) workshop at ACL 2022, a workshop on Knowledge Extraction and Integration for Deep Learning Architectures (also in 2020, 2021)
- Keynote talk on “Deploying Conversational Question Answering systems in new domains” (video) at the EXPO DAQA workshop (IBM), NeurIPS conference, Dec. 2020
- Keynote talk on “Cross-linguality and machine translation without bilingual data” (video) at the Applied Machine Learning Days (AMLD), EPFL, Laussane, Switzerland, Jan. 2020
- Fellow of the ACL, a selective worldwide group of 74 research leaders
- Awardee of the National Research Prize on Informatics (video and speech), 2021
- Best European AI PhD dissertation by student Mikel Artetxe in 2021, who also won best NLP PhD in Spain (SEPLN), and is a National Youth Research Prize on Informatics awardee.
- LIHLITH project on Lifelong Learning for Dialogue selected as success story at CHIST-ERA meeting (project website), 2021
- Honourable mention paper award (top 1%) at EMNLP (details), 2020
- Outstanding Paper award (top 2%) at COLING (details), 2020
- Won a prize in White House promoted challenge related to COVID-19 (details) 2020
- Recipient of a 2019 Google Faculty Research Award for research on conversational QA (also in 2017 and 2018)
- Part of the team who won the 2020 OpenCLIR Text Track Challenge (organised by NIST and IARPA)
- Member of the ELLIS Society, European Laboratory for Learning and Intelligent Systems (2020-)
- Associate Editor for the JAIR journal (2021-)
- SemEval 2021 and 2020 steering committee
- Action Editor for TACL (2018-2021)
- Member of government evaluation body (ANEP area TIC), 2020
- Co-founder of the *SEM conference series, now in it’s 10th edition
- Usual senior area chair, area chair and reviewer at ACL conferences, EMNLP, COLING, CoNLL, IJCAI, AAAI, Neurips and ICLR
The book on WSD:
- Word Sense Disambiguation: Algorithms and applications (Springer. Agirre, Eneko; Edmonds, Philip (Eds.) 2006 and 2007.
A cartoon in Basque about the ambiguity of baso (forest or glass). Credit: Olariaga, berria.eus